Linking up here:
Linking up here:
Remember the Hat Dress? Well it’s coming along quite nicely. After a few hiccups and break-downs (didn’t fit the form, weird ripples here and there, things collapsing..the usual) I’m at a point where I’m pretty pleased with it. It’s not quite finished, and it’s definitely not perfect. But considering the fact that it’s a dress shaped like a hat (and who ever makes those!), I’m giving myself a pat on the back in spite of it’s uneven-ness and subtle ripples. I have to have it finished by friday and it’s officially due next tuesday. I’m feeling pretty confident time-wise, although its become quite cumbersome and barely fits through the doorframe of my room! I’m hoping it can make the last few trips up to school that it needs to in one piece!
|For the brim I used a layer of metal screen (like for a window) over a layer of buckram. The threads you see around the edge are holding in place a strip of millinery wire that I put around the edge to keep it from flopping around.|
|Brim sewn on and staying up! I used a strong shirring thread and sewed it on by hand (I’ve given up on maneuvering this thing around a sewing machine!)|
|Ribbon and bow pinned in place. I still need to stitch those down. She looks pretty cute doesn’t she!?|
Some hidden adjustments I’ve made since last time:
Now all she needs is a tacked down ribbon and a few thousand rolls of a lint roller.
I’d love to hear your questions/feedback! Email me or leave them in the comments below!
Been busy working on a very intricate term garment for school and my lovely Gentleman suggested it might be something fun to share with my readers… boy he’s a smarty!
So our inspiration is Elsa Schiaparelli & surrealism. I love Schiaparelli because she is so quirky and fearless with her designs, while still keeping it elegant.
My dress is specifically inspired by Rene Magritte, a surrealist painter whom I’ve admired for a long time. He is most famous for his pipe painting and man-in-the-bowler-hat paintings. In the interest of fun and trying something different, I decided to make a hat dress!
|Here’s the under layer… holding shape all on it’s own.|
|Aside from curved gores, I also put darts on the side panels to add to the shape.|
|A peep underneath…teal lining!|
|A look at the shape of my pattern pieces.|
|A french lining with boning will hopefully help this dress to stay up on its own.|
|Here’s a rough fitting I did with the top layer of fabric. The curves need to be smoothed out – they are a little too deep. Also, I used a wire mesh (like for a window screen) for the hat brim. Right now there is only one layer but I’m thinking I will use two to keep it more stable. I also might put a piece of oaktag in between the layers to keep it from looking so wavy. Once it’s finished I will add the teal band with a bow and feathers on the side!|
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
|For full tutorial on how I made the print.. click through the jump!|
|Choose a fabric and dye color. It is good to research the fabric’s dye capabilities as well as carefully read the instructions on the dye package.|
|Follow the instructions on the package to dye the fabric. I chose to use the bucket technique.|
|Once fabric is washed and dried, Iron it out. I chose to cut out my pattern pieces here, since the garment I was making is quite small, as is the stamp I chose.|
|Pour out some paint onto a plate or palate, using your sponge, dab a generous amount of paint onto the stamp, making sure it is fully covered.|
|Do some practice stamps on a scrap of fabric to get your paint ratio and stamp pressure just right. These were obviously not what I was aiming for.|
|This was more like it.|
|I chose to do a scatter pattern. Continue stamping the pattern piece until you get the desired coverage, making sure to turn the stamp in a random sequence, and everything is evenly spaced. Also do some half stamps on the edges of the fabric for a more realistic look. It might help you to look at a printed fabric that you like and try to copy that ratio.|
|When finished, iron the pieces slowly on both sides to set the paint.|
|Sew together your pieces and admire your beautiful work!|
Use this technique? Let me know how it went! Have a different technique? Please share!
Introducing a new segment: Re-make of the month! You know I’m all about recycling and making things out of recycled & vintage materials, so I will be featuring a monthly project that focuses on just that! The project will either be one of my own, or one from a guest!
This month’s project is a vest I made using BurdaStyle’s Franzi pattern. For the material I used a large wool wrap skirt that I bought at a thrift store ages ago with the intent of using it solely for the fabric. Long vintage wrap or gathered skirts are a great source of fabric for smaller projects. Especially with gathered skirts, once they are deconstructed there is so much fabric in there!
Without further ado, here are the before and afters:
|Finished product: buttons were purchased, red lining was pulled from my stash 🙂|
Amy Nicole Collins is a seamstress, designer, and pattern maker in south Texas. She is on a journey toward having a fully handmade wardrobe (with a little vintage mixed in). When she's not sewing she can be found, reading, eating cupcakes, snuggling with her boston terrier Banjo, or all of the above. Read More…