February’s re-make of the month is a simple one, and a fun one to try at home. This would even be a great one to try for a kids room!
I got this T-Shirt a very long time ago from one of my dearest friends who saw it while thrifting one day and – knowing my nerdy love for Harry Potter – bought it for me. It was a kids shirt and didn’t really fit me right but I couldn’t bare to part with it. So after holding onto it forever I finally found the perfect solution shortly after I moved to New York and the chair I sewed in was in desperate need of a cushion for some extra support. Thus, my T-Shirt cushion was born!
|Unfortunately I don’t have a before picture for you.|
|Isn’t she lovely?? And the best part – I used fabric scraps (you know, the little
shredded ones) for the stuffing!!
Full tutorial after the jump!
Want to be featured for re-make of the month? Contact me!
- Needle & Thread
- Fabric Scraps (very small) or Fiberfill stuffing
- Measure Chair and cut a square of fabric from the front and back of t-shirt according to those measurements.
- Cut 4 strips about 1″ wide and 10″ long from extra pieces to use as ties.
- Place your fabric squares on top of each other with the design facing inward.
- Leaving about a 4″ opening in the center, begin on the side of the square that is at the top of the design, and sew (with a sewing machine or simple running stitch ) around square to the other side of the 4″ opening leaving about a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Flip pillow inside out through 4″ opening, making sure to “poke out” all the corners.
- Fill pillow using fiberfill or stuffing. Use little pieces, bits at a time for less lumping.
- Once pillow is full to desired puffiness (I ended up later opening mine and filling more), slip-stitch the 4″ opening, closing it entirely.
- Measure distance of slats in back of chair and mark, centered on top side of pillow
- Sew on two strips to each marked spot using several stitches making an “x”. (I sandwiched the edge of the pillow between the two strip ends)
- Tie on chair and enjoy a comfy & fun seat!