All of my planning and narrowing and analyzing is finally paying off with my decided handmade collection for Spring/Summer 2014. The Wardrobe Architect series (click image for more deets) over at the Coletterie has been both an eye-opener and a life-saver. I know I’ve talked a lot about it lately, but I truly can’t rave enough! I plan to repeat this process every season (twice a year) when its time for sewn-wardrobe planning and closet cleaning.
I’m so excited about my proposed projects this season I’ve been dying to share them with y’all!
Before I get to the goods let’s start with the color story. I must say that my color story sort of happened by default as I am trying to only sew from my current stash, and I also already had particular fabrics in mind for these projects. Fortunately I think it all looks quite nice and sleek as a curated palate. Much better than the mish-mash I probably would have come up with had I been left to my own devices!
Now on to my silhouettes. I haven’t switched my closet to my spring clothes yet (our endless winter hasn’t allowed for that), but I have a pretty good idea of where the holes in my summer wardrobe are. Lord knows I don’t need anymore dresses at the moment, so I am mostly sticking to cute woven tops and a couple fun pieces.
- Self-drafted Raincoat – pattern is still in the works but I pretty much have the fabric all picked out. Definitely plan on making a muslin for this one because I want it to be absolutely PERFECT.
- Bustier Top from Burdastyle. I will probably lengthen the waist on this to make it a touch more modest. More like the examples in my summer silhouettes.
- Tiny Pocket Tank from Grainline Sudio. If all goes well with the first one, I have a couple of fabrics in mind for this.
- Overalls from my vintage pattern collection. Planning on using navy linen for these puppies.
- Polly Top from By Hand London.
- Okay, I know I said no dresses, but I’ve GOT to solve this mystery. I have a pattern in my pdf folder titled “Red Dress“. I have no idea what it is or where it came from… but I’m determined to print it out, tape it together and sort out what it is. If it looks interesting enough.. I just might sew it up in red! P.s. – the snip of the pattern pictured is actually from the file, if it looks familiar to anyone I’d love to know if you have a clue where it’s from!
You will notice a couple repeats from last season that I didn’t get around to because the Fall of 2013 shat on my life… but that’s ok because those two styles are pretty much year-round silhouettes. Plus I’ve been dreaming about making this raincoat for years so I’m just happy to finally be getting to it (fabric is in the mail and everything!) You’ll also notice that the overalls were not part of my original silhouette choices – MAJOR oversight on my part… I LOVE overalls and am just dying to make my very own pair since I never can seem to find them with the perfect fit for a decent price.
I’ve also selected a couple of key accessories that I’ve had in mind to acquire/make.
- Swedish Hasbeens – this WILL be the year that I own a pair! Might have to ask for them for my birthday or just splurge – but its happening! Now I just have to decide which ones I want…
- I have a very special TOMS refashion in my head that I’ve been dying to execute. Definitely a tutorial in store for y’all.
- I don’t have much jewelry experience, but I want to attempt to make a Coral Pendant Necklace with some coral that we brought back from our trip to Mexico.